As a builder, Grand Banks have the enviable reputation of being the de-facto standard that many other production trawler builders aspire to; From their classic lines to the exquisite detail of their finishes and unsurpassed quality of materials; Not to mention their renown prominence for stability and comfort in rough seas.
Grand Lady excels beyond the standard tradition of the 42EU with numerous upgrades and modifications required by the owner before he took possession. The owner of this vessel is a retired Marine Engineer who was commissioned by the British military on design and acceptance of a specialized warship. As you can see, Grand Lady has been meticulously cared for. Maintenance recorded with exacting logs, that we found impressive, some of the best records that we’ve seen; and if all of that is not enough, she is protected in a boat house, maintaining her like new condition.
What a great design and layout in the GB 42 EU. No wonder that these vessels are in such demand. A massive open cockpit with rigid hard top overhead for protected outdoor lounging; An inviting large opening through double sliding teak framed glass doors into a warm and comfortable salon with the galley up configuration. What a great way to bring the outdoors in and the indoors out.
Heads and beds below with the quality and comfort that people come to expect in their GB. Plus if needed, the salon settee can open up into a double bed. The owners can be proud of the accommodations set out for guests.
Getting to the upper entertainment space on the bridge, GB has smartly laid out the staircase with access from the cockpit, a gradual rising set of teak inlaid stairs; no vertical ladders to negotiate with hands full of trays and drinks. And while up there, relax in comfort in an L settee giving you an elevated view of the surrounding vista. Absolutely beautiful!
So much more to tell you, so open and read “Full Details” and be ready to be impressed. Then call us to arrange your own private showing. You will clearly be glad that you did. This very special vessel “Grand Lady” can be yours, and just in time for the upcoming boating season.
Additional Photos coming soon!
34000 lbs Half Load
Fuel Tanks Capacity:
600 Gallons Total
Fresh Water Tanks Capacity:
Fresh Water Tank Material:
Holding Tanks Capacity:
Holding Tank Material:
As you approach Grand Lady, the first thing that you will be struck with, her overall look. She just sparkles – the hull and superstructure, bright work and decks all showing the conscientious care that this owner has given her. In a word, this boat has been loved, and it shows.
She has beautiful wide sidedecks – the cabin top extends over both sides and astern. This adds protection, plus creates more deck space for a larger flybridge. Easy access to the flybridge with a proper set of stairs. Double wide sliding glass doors, opens up for a grand entry into the cabin. The finish is warm and inviting. You can tell GRAND LADY is boathouse kept.
This is the last 42 Europa that Grand Banks built. Lots of time for GB to work out any glitches that may have been in previous builds.
Here are a few of the important items to get you started:
- Long Range – est. 1000 NM at 9 kn
- Strength and quality from the Grand Banks builders
- Boat House kept and in immaculate condition (Like New)
- Interior Space, Open-Bright-Spotless-Warm-Very Comfortable
- Large Queen walk around bed, ensuite includes separate shower
- Large bright Galley
- Designed and upgraded to leave April and not needing to return until you want
- Additional 3-piece full winter cover – plus custom fit covers for all outdoor seating and teak cap rails
- X2 Anchors plus includes 300′ Chain & 400′ Rode
- Nick Jackson Crane on flybridge
- Balance adjusted by moving batteries from aft to mid ship. All batteries upgraded and replaced 3 years ago
- Engines through to shafts, inspected and adjust for alignment. They wanted it perfect
- Added an efficient engine oil change out system
- Very high standard maintenance and records kept
- Upgraded to an improved charger inverter
- All S/S Stanchion Railing removed and reinforced – added a secondary rail to keep pets safe on board. Great for children safety as well
- 3 Zone Hurricane Heating w/summer & winter setting
- Upgraded the under counter fridge into a full freezer to meet long range cruising demands
- Hand held West Marine VHF, in a charger
- Hand bearing compass
- Paper charts from Puget Sound to Glacier Bay
- Canadian Coast Guard safety equipped
- All Fenders and lines
The cockpit is huge; easy boarding from either port or starboard gate, or from the transom gate. Overhead is a rigid hardtop to protect you from sun or rain, which covers the cockpit and extends down the side decks. The bright work gleams which has custom fit covers. Large teak framed double sliding glass doors that opens into the spacious salon; And notice the built in Phantom screen letting in the outdoors…but not all of it.
Two large hatches open, exposing a large, full width storage.
Forward of this, another hatch opens, gaining access to Xantrex Unit, Hot Water tank, Electrical switches, compressor for the freezer plus another large storage space now that the batteries are moved mid ship
A proper set of stairs, teak inlaid, lead up to flybridge – More storage under the stairs
As you would expect, the salon is bright and airy with all the amenities one appreciates while on board. Rich Navy blue upholstered Settee that can convert into a double for the unexpected guests. 2 amazing comfortable barrel chairs across. A beautiful, wide factory built dropleaf table; traditional GB bar in solid teak and a teak entertainment cabinet.
- Warm teak everywhere, including valances and sole, all in a rich satin finish
- Comfortable L shaped settee that coverts to a double bed and 2-barrel chairs cross aisle, one either side of the entertainment cabinet
- Professional Interior decorating with quality fabric in blues and greys with lovely cushion accents; Wonderfully compliments to the teak.
- A factory-built table with dropleaf extensions for guests or for gaming space
- Privacy blinds custom fit for each window
- Stylish GB built in teak bar with bottle and glasses storage, plus an extra cabinet for additional glasses, just across the aisle
- Stereo, CD player and a Sirius Satellite radio
- Sony speakers built into the headliner
- The brass clock and barometer set are a nice touch and goes with the boat.
The Galley, located on the port side, is an efficient L shape and on the same deck as the helmsman and salon. The cook is always part of the fun and not tucked away below somewhere. A bright, comfortable and safe place to prepare those gourmet meals for everyone.
And also noteworthy:
- Force 10 three burner propane stove/oven topped with a flip up Corian counter top. Plus, added pot holders keeping them safely in place
- Plenty of propane stored on the flybridge
- Coolmatic 12v / 110v refrigerator with a teak paneled door front
- A big top load stainless steel lined freezer running on its own 12 v compressor. Great for those longer cruises (Upgraded)
- Fabulous flip down dish storage overhead, very cool, and lots of storage beneath the Corian counters as well
- Forward of the stove is more storage – 3-fold up lids expose top counter storage. Under this is another bank of drawers
- A large and deep double Scandvick stainless-steel sink,
- A lot of storage including a custom fit condiment locker
- Canned good storage in the steps to lower level
- Power vented exhaust fan located over the stove
- Very well-lit with Cantalupi overhead lighting
- Propane/gas sensor
- Proper venting
- The forward master cabin is in the perfect location, maximizing comfort and space. Personal locking door for your privacy
- Very comfortable island queen bed with superb mattress. Step up either side for easy access
- Custom made, fitted bedspread & pillow covers in neutral colors
- The bed frame is mounted on gas assist shocks, easily lifts to access the massive storage beneath
- Large overhead hatch for natural light and plenty of fresh air, includes screen and block out shade
- Plus 4 large stainless-steel opening port lights with screens – excellent light and fresh air flow
- Plenty of storage including a hang up locker lined with aromatic wood, as well as drawers located throughout
- Large double wide drawer under the bed, used for all the paper charts – Which are included
- Private access to the ensuite including a separate shower stall
- Two single berths, one running fore and aft, the other slightly raised running port to starboard. Brilliant design maximizing the use of the space. Sliding door for privacy
- An overhead opening hatch again with screen and shade as well as two stainless steel, screened opening portlights
- Excellent ventilation
- Lots of storage with drawers and a cedar lined hanging locker that is louvered for moisture control
- Rechargeable Vacuum stored in locker
- Hurricane heating with 3 zone controls. Freedom to adjust your preferred temperature for each individual space. Also includes efficient dual setting, one for winter, the other for summer. / requires very little maintenance.
- 128-gal total fresh water
- 110 v Seaward 20-gallon hot water tank
- Hot/Cold water system with Grohe faucets
- Everything plumed, wired and ready to go for a Village Maker water maker. Owner found that the fresh water tanks were large enough and did not proceed with the purchase of the unit.
- Along with all the opening hatches and portlights in the boat, a window panel opens in the center of the wind shield.
- Screens and shades for everything that opens
- As well as pull down blinds for the windows in the salon and the windshield
- Cordless vacuum stored in guest cabin
Directly across the aisle from the galley is the lower helm. A bright airy space with wonderful visibility all-round the boat, and a side deck door ideal for those times of single handed docking. Large engine access hatch centered between the galley and the helm
Note as well:
- Dual station hydraulic steering, rudder indicator, dual lever PANISH gear and throttle controls
- Double helm seat (with a custom 6″ removable booster seat cushion which increases your vision over the bow while underway)
- Complete, easy to read, Cat Marine engine gauges mounted into the dash
- Electronic panel w/bilge pump indicator lights mounted into above panel
- Sirius radio, Ritchie Powerdamp Compass
- Windshield wipers have speed controls and fresh water wash
- Both fuel and fresh water status gauges mounted in above panel
- Bennett Trim tab control
- Cabin heat control
- A remote Xantrex Inverter monitoring panel and Xantrex separate battery monitor
- Water maker control panel (plumed and wired for a Village Marine Tec water maker but found that they did not need one so has not been installed)
Electronics / Navigation
Navigation systems are fully redundant for safety
At the Lower Helm:
- Furuno NavNet GPS/chartplotter/depth sounder/radar c/with charts from Puget Sound to Glacier Bay – (This is displayed onto a larger screen for better clarity)
- Comnav Marine 1001 Autopilot
- Furuno RD-30 Depth and Temp
- Secondary Furuno depth sounder connected on its own circuit (Emergency Backup)
- VHF is an ICOM IC-M601 with smart mike
- Sirius Radio
- Analogue Tank Level Gauges
And the Upper Helm:
- Furuno NavNet GPS/chartplotter/depth sounder/radar stand alone and not repeated from below
- Comnav Marine Autopilot
- Furuno RD-30 Depth and temp display
- ICOM VHF remote mic
Because of the owners amazing Engineering background, he realized the vessel was delivered Aft heavy. Grand Lady’s battery banks have been moved forward to midship, providing better balance and performance of the vessel. This battery bank has been substantially expanded and improved to increase the power source for your electrical needs
- House (new 2016) 6 x 6-volt AGMs30 amp shore power connection fore and aft
- Onan E-QD generator / 9kw 110VAC – c/with sound shield and exhaust water separator / approx. 1120 hours on the genset
- Engine start AGM 8D
- Genset start AGM
- Emergency battery parallel start switch(Upgraded)
- Xantrex 2500-Watt inverter/charger(Upgraded)
- Xantrex 50-amp Battery Charger(Upgraded)
- 2 x HD alternators(Upgraded)
- Some interior lights have been updated to LED from halogen. They are being phased in as they burn out.
- Galvanic Isolator
- Boat is fully bonded to a diver’s dream(Upgraded)
What a great place to lounge and enjoy the elevated vistas of your anchorage; or to join the skipper while he is taking you to your favorite destination. This space is incredible
Here are some of the amenities that you will find up here:
- The captain is safely able to pilot the vessel from a secured wrap-around Pedestal Pompanette Helm seat
- To port, across from the helm is a back-to-back seating arrangement for ships mate
- The helm station includes all controls, gauges and Nav Electronics
- Directly behind the helm seat is a very comfortable L-shaped settee
- High gloss grated teak table next to settee
- All pieces covered with fitted dark navy-blue canvas (This canvas is always attached when seating is not being used-Thus the condition of this beauty)
- Safety is enhanced with a complete enclosed waist high S/S handrail, surrounding the bridge
- Aquapro 1101 RIB / 11 ft. – Stored on a custom fit mounting cradle
- 15 hp Honda 4 stk.
- Nick Jackson swing out 12v crane – mounted directly down through to the lower deck. Very strong
- GB aluminum mast c/with spreader lights, block and tackle system designed to easily raise and lower by one person
- Life raft for 4 people
- Propane locker for 3 x 10lb tanks
- BBQ mounted to the rail
- A clever custom made sliding teak step over the stairs to the bridge to accommodate working on the aft upper deck, IE: dinghy launching
- Stereo speakers
Hull / Deck
The cockpit is huge; easy boarding and fueling from either port or starboard gate, or from the transom gate. With the reintroduction of the 42 Europa, GB decided to add 6 inches to the width and 6 inches longer, allowing for an enlarged forward stateroom and add stairs to replace the ladder up to the flybridge. Wide side decks, overhead rigid hardtop to protect you from sun or rain, which covers the cockpit and extends down both side decks. The brightwork gleams, and notice the teak framed double sliding glass doors that open, showing off the spacious salon; built in Phantom screen letting in the outdoors…but not all of it.
And note further:
- Hard-Chine semi-displacement, hand-laid fiberglass hull w/epoxy barrier coat below the waterline
- Teak stepped molded in stair case to the upper deck from the cockpit. Handy when carrying a tray of snacks
- All teak decks and steps left in their natural state and in spectacular condition
- Teak caprails and transom are the only exposed varnished woodwork – all covered with custom fit canvas
- x2 Large Lazarettes in the cockpit
- Large S/S Inspection openings in the deck, allowing easy access to the fuel tank sensors
- High bulwarks and S/S railings that have been strengthened further for added safety(Upgraded)
- Built in dual pulpit with stainless steel rollers
- Two anchors: A 65 lb CQR with 200’ of 5/16 chain, and a 55 lb CQR with 100’ of chain.
- In addition, 2 x 100’ of ¾” nylon rode plus another 200’ length of the same.
- Anchor fresh water wash down
- Tigress II Lofrans 12v windlass
- 100’ tow line
- Cockpit shower both hot and cold
- Extended the swim platform which includes a folding S/S ladder
- Sunbrella navy blue canvas covers protecting the beautiful varnished teak
- 3-piece custom made boat cover, which is great when kept outside and not in the boathouse
- White sun shields for windshield
Engine Room / Mechanical
Great access into the engine room through a salon hatch for your daily engine checks, or through the cockpit for more extensive servicing. Lots of room to move around, and of course everything is very well organized and accessible.
- Good insulation for noise reduction
- And further noise and vibration reduction with Vetus anti-vibration shaft couplers and vibration dampening engine mounts
- Twin Cat 3126Ts / 350 hp c/with engine block heaters – (3000 hrs)
- Racor fuel filters with vacuum gauges on both engines and genset
- Twin Disc gear boxes 2.47:1, MG5061-A gears
- S/S exhaust riser fabricated and installed
- Delta T marine engine room ventilation
- Labeled fuel manifold system
- Sight gauges on both fuel tanks
- Custom Easy change out oil system
- 2” Aqualoy, highly corrosive resistant shafts with shaft brushes
- Dripless shaft seals
- Foil Series 4 blade 28 x 26 props (Nice Improvement)
- Firefox Fire Suppression system (FE241)
- Special stowage for 12 x 1 gal. engine oil containers (one full oil change).
- One manual bilge pump and 3 automatic electric ones
- Holding tank with macerator for overboard and through deck pump out
- Additional necessary spare parts along with a very detailed log of work completed
- Hurricane hydronic heating system
Economical – 5 GPH US average. Cruise speed 9 knots
Performance – 19 knots if the need arises
GBs blunt bow combined with their displacement provides a smooth ride when taking the sea on the nose. And in a cross sea, her generous beam to length ratio combined with heavy displacement significantly reduces trawler roll
Here is what other GB owners have recorded for performance of the 42 EU:
- 700 RPM 5 knots 1.5 GPH 2000 mile range
- 1200 RPM 9 knots 5 GPH 996 mile range
- 1800 RPM 11.6 knots 16 GPH 435 mile range
- 2200 RPM 15 knots 26 GPH 346 mile range
- 2600 RPM 19.1 knots 46 GPH 249 mile range
This of course is an estimate and depends on load and current sea conditions
- FLAPS UP RPM FLAPS DOWN
- 4.55 650 —-
- 6.7 1000 6.4
- 7.8 1200 7.4
- 8.9 1400 8.5
- 9.75 1600 9.4
- 10.3 1800 10.2
- 11.0 2000 11.3
- 12.5 2200 13.1
- 3 piece full winter cover
- Hand held West Marine VHF, in a charger
- Hand bearing compass
- Paper charts from Puget Sound to Glacier Bay
- Canadian Coast Guard safety equipped
- Fenders and lines
Transition and boat House
The vendor is very proud of his boat and the way that she has been kept and would be honored to assist in orientating the new owners to their new vessel.
Once Grand Lady has been purchased, the boat house in Ladysmith is also available for purchase under a separate agreement.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.